Tramway route and features
The records we have of this tramway are by no means complete and any corrections, comments or additional references are most welcome.
In the late 1890’s and early 1900’s the A&D Munro Company constructed a timber tramway network to service their logging and milling operations in the Hampton, Perseverance and Ravensbourne areas of South East Queensland. The line was 2'6" gauge and had a route length of approximately 26km.
This network was effectively constructed in 3 stages. The first stage, completed between 1896 and 1897, was a 12 km line connecting Munro's Palmtree Sawmill to a siding at the Hampton station on the Toowoomba to Crows Nest rail line. Munro's had a yard within that siding, complete with a tramway loop and gantry crane, allowing for transfer of their milled timber to the Government rail system. The next stage, commenced around 1898, involved the construction of a 2.5 km extension from the Mill to the eastern escarpment area. The final stage, constructed between 1907 and 1909, consisted of a 11.5 km branch line starting part way along the eastern escarpment link and heading in a generally north easterly direction through the heavily timbered Ravensbourne district and then on to a loading station at Bunkers Hill. The sawmill and tramway ceased operations in early 1936 and the tramway rails were sold to scrap merchants and removed later that year.
The route map below, colour coded to show the staged development, is indicative only having been derived from a combination of GPS recordings, historical aerial photos, Google Earth imagery and quite a bit of interpolation.
Overall route, colour coded to show the staged development
Construction of the line commenced in mid 1896 and a report in the Darling Downs Gazette of the 26th of September 1896 provides us with some background on the undertaking and includes the earliest known image of the line, copy below.
Another report published on that same day, this time in the Toowoomba Chronicle and Darling Downs Advertiser, provides a little more detail on the progress stating that only 1 mile of the line had been completed at that time.
A further report published in the Toowoomba Chronicle and Darling Downs Advertiser on the 26th of August 1897, i.e. nearly one year after commencement of construction, records the completion of the line as follows: "Mr. D. Munro has now completed his tramway line from the Hampton Siding to his sawmill at Perseverance, a distance of something like 8 miles. About 12 months ago this line of tramway was started at Hampton and last week saw its completion".
Darling Downs Gazette, 26 Sep1896
Credit: National Library of Australia
It appears that not long after the line from Hampton was completed, a start was made on a branch line that was to provide access to timber on the escarpment to the east of the mill. An article in the Toowoomba Chronicle and Darling Downs Advertiser on the 30th of July 1898 makes mention of work having started on this branch. It reads: "The firm of Messrs. A. & D. Munro do not tire of tramway building, as Mr. H. Clark, with a gang of men, are busily engaged in further extending the tram out through their timber country". That branch line was only 2.5 km long but there were 3 creeks along that route that had to be bridged. Trestle bridges spanned the first two creeks and a simpler log bridge spanned the third creek. That extension was supplemented in circa 1904 -1905 with the introduction of a cable tramway that ran for 3/4 mile down a spur on the eastern slopes. At the head of that tramway, a steam winch was installed to haul up the laden wagons. Based on a report published in the Brisbane Courier on the 3rd of April 1905, that incline tramway probably commenced operation in early April 1905.
Some year or two later the company commenced the process of gaining approval to extend the line to the north east. This final extension was to provide access to significant reserves in the Ravensbourne and Deongwar districts. The company’s plans were actively supported by the Ravensbourne farmers who saw the tramway as a reliable means of transporting their produce to the Government line at Hampton, particularly during wet weather. A report in The Brisbane Courier, 13 August 1906, records that active encouragement; it details how the Ravensbourne farmers “asked that the tramline should be extended another 5 miles and said that the land required would be presented to Mr. Munro by the owners”. That article also highlights one of the conditions to be met before Munro would proceed with this line, namely that “he would get the rails (from the Railways Department) at a reduced price”.
Some 8 months later a report in the Queensland Times, Ipswich Herald and General Advertiser, 25 April 1907, records that construction of this branch had commenced. It reads: “Mr. Munro was now extending his tramway as fast as he could get men to put down the rails”.
This route was in part along local roads and a report in the Darling Downs Gazette edition of 2nd of August 1907 records that the Highfields Shire Council approved an application by the A&D Munro company "for permission to maintain a railway or tramline along or across any part of the road or roads where required by them from portion 841, parish of Ravensbourne, in a northerly direction towards what is known as Bunkers Hill, or Reserve No. 268, which adjoins Nos. 30 and 7, parish of Deongwar". Portion 841 was the site of Munro's sawmill at Palmtree.
Transition to steam powered haulage
Initially the tram wagons on the first and second sections were hauled by horse teams but in ca 1903 Duncan Munro sought approval to use a steam locomotive on those sections. As part of that process, the Railways Commissioner assigned a Toowoomba based District Engineer - C.E. Quinlan - to report on the suitability of those tracks for steam locomotive operation. That report outlines some of the features of the first section of line as follows:
The 7-mile of track from Hampton to the Sawmill was through rough country using 1½ chain curves.
It had a maximum grade of 1 in 14 over short distances.
Iron rails were used throughout. Most were 40lb/yard but some 18lb/yard existed.
Sleepers sized 5'x8"x5" were generally spaced at 3-4ft centres but some were 5ft.
Packed earth was used between the rails not ballast.
Two bridges were involved with 18ft and 20ft spans.
All the tracks were in fair to good condition.
Quinlan’s report also included some recommendations, possibly to be implemented as part of A&D Munro’s process of seeking approval for use of steam locomotive haulage on the tramway. In summary, they were:
The entire track system be overhauled replacing all bruised and broken rails.
All sleepers be re-arranged to 4ft or less centres.
Bridges and culverts to be strengthened to accommodate the steam locomotive's weight.
All 18lb rails should be replaced with 40lb versions.
Only timber or other freight should be carried, not passengers.
The recommendations outlined in Quinlan's report were presumably addressed as on the 19th of August 1904 Munro made application to the Queensland Parliament for approval to use a steam driven locomotive on his tramway. That approval was granted by way of the Munro Tramway Bill passed in December of 1904.
Munro must have been confident of this outcome as he ordered his first steam locomotive - a Shay Class A geared unit - before making that application. That unit - Shay 906 - was shipped from the Lima Works on the 4th of August 1904. A second unit destined for Munro's operation - Shay 2097 - was shipped from the Lima Works on the 25th of January 1908. Those two units served as the means of haulage for the remainder of the tramway's operating life.
During 2015 and early 2016, some of our members walked and GPS traced the tramway route, where it was still evident, with owner permission in instances where the route was through private property. That GPS record has been supplemented with route information obtained from Google Earth imagery, historical aerial imagery, property plans and historical sketches to produce the route record shown in the Google Earth image below.
The remains of the tramway route are for the most part located on private property with only limited sections located on public property. Those sections located on private property are represented on our route maps by red tracing, designating that they are not accessible to the public. Sections that are accessible to the public are represented by green tracing.
Route overview map
In the following sections we examine the route in more detail, starting at the Hampton siding.
The best evidence we have for the Hampton siding layout and tramway route comes from two station layout drawings, one with hand written notes showing the equipment to be removed as part of the loop closure and the other a blueprint showing the adjacent Munro buildings and the gantry crane.
Loop drawing, includes handwritten salvage notes
Loop drawing, includes Feed Sheds, Travelling Crane, Engine Shed, Munro's Office and Humpy locations
As well as providing us with details of the tramway route at the station, these drawings include some other points of historical interest. Firstly the top drawing shows the approximate location of the Chermside Hotel as bordering on the Railway property at the end of Station Street. Nothing remains of that building now. Also of interest are the relative locations shown for the Engine Shed and Munro’s Office building in the second drawing as that information assists in identifying the previously undocumented photo below. The arrangement shown on that drawing and the backdrop seen below, i.e. Engine Shed and Munro Office building in close proximity, match sufficiently well as to allow us to identify the photo location as Hampton. The person standing in front of the Shay locomotive is probably W.J. Munro.
Shay 906 outside the Engine Shed at Hampton
Photo provided by the Munro family
The handwritten notes on the top drawing also include some interesting references to the fate of the redundant equipment, e.g. the note referencing the sale of the rails, “Rails sold to J.J. Bloomer 30-11-36”, and the name "Bloomer’s" beside the Munro feed shed and the Munro Office. J.J. Bloomers were a Brisbane based scrap metal merchant company.
Continuing on from the station, the next tramway route reference we have is an early 1900's photo of the Shay passing the front of Chapman's Store. The store, although modified over the years and now known as the Hampton Store, still stands where it did when this photograph was taken.
Arriving at Hampton and passing the NE corner of the T.H. Chapman General Store. The Chapman's Store building, while modified over the years, still occupies that same site.
1891 Cadastral showing alignment of the then main road at Hampton. An inwards bound tram following that alignment would have it passing the NE corner of the store. The current roads are represented in orange.
The next route reference we have is a 1930 property plan showing a section of tramway route commencing just in front of the Hampton Visitor Information Centre and finishing where the line crossed Collingwood Road.
1930 property plan, tramway highlighted in green. The representation of the line crossing over Collingwood Rd and entering the southern side property at the corner post, aligns exactly with the cutting that is still there today.
Credit: Bruce Steele
We also have aerial imagery showing the route through the private property on the southern side of Collingwood Road. Mapping all of these route references into Google Earth results in the track record shown below. As with all Google Earth routes shown on this website, the red trace signifies those sections of the route on private property and therefore not accessible to the public. Only routes represented in green are accessible to the public.
Tramway route from Hampton Station to Collingwood Road
From Hampton to the Perseverance Reserve
The line exited the corner property and then headed in a generally south easterly direction, initially following the general alignment of Collingwood Road before traversing private property on the eastern side of Collingwood Road until it reached a road reserve known as the Great Short Walk. Some members have walked the route from Collingwood Road down to the Great Short Walk, passing through the private property with owner permission. GPS readings taken on that occasion form the basis for our record along that section.
The Great Short Walk follows a road reserve and is all publicly accessible as represented by the green trace in the image below. There are 5 interpretive signs installed along this walk. Further details, including details on how to get there, are available on our Walks page.
Hampton to Perseverance Reserve
Legend: C Clarke's Bridge, W Well, M McQuillan's Bridge
As with most of the line, the construction of this section was largely carried out using manual labour, e.g. pick and shovel, with routes selected to minimise earth works. There were also two large gullies to be crossed along this section and both were bridged by timber bridges.
The first of these bridges, known as Clarke's Bridge, was probably named after Munro’s tramway construction supervisor, a Mr. H. Clarke. The site of that bridge is on private property, reference Waypoint C on the map, and there has been no opportunity to check for evidence of earthworks, e.g. abutments.
Note: Hut circled for reference.
Clarke's Bridge. Darling Downs Gazette, 6 Feb 1897.
Note 1: Image below is correctly orientated. Version published in the Gazette was incorrectly orientated.
Note 2: Construction camp visible in background.
Credit: National Library of Australia.
The second bridge, known as McQuillan's Bridge, was most likely named after the McQuillan family, local property owners. The earliest image we have of that bridge, copy below, shows that the deck was closed and that handrails were fitted, both requirements for the horse drawn of operation of the pre 1905 period. Later photos of that bridge suggest that the handrails were removed once horse drawn haulage ceased. The bridge site, represented by Waypoint M on the map, is along the publicly accessible Great Short Walk, about 400 metres along from the car park. An interpretive sign has been installed near the bridge site.
McQuillan's Bridge. View towards Palmtree Road.
Toowoomba Chronicle and DD General Advertiser, 8 Oct 1898
Credit: National Library of Australia
There is no physical evidence of this bridge remaining on site but the gully it crossed is quite distinct. And continuing on from the bridge towards Palmtree Road, there's clear evidence of tramway earthworks and cuttings.
Gully crossed by McQuillan's Bridge
Cutting at Bridge approach, 2016
Upon reaching Palmtree Road the tramway route turns east heading down along the northern side of the road reserve towards the Perseverance Reserve . A walking track on that road reserve effectively follows that route. The line then enters the Perseverance Reserve where the tramway bench is quite noticeable, as shown in the following image.
Tramway bench in Perseverance Reserve, running parallel to Palmtree Road
From Perseverance Reserve to the Mill
The section of line between the Reserve and the Mill passes through what is now a series of private properties, all fronting Perseverance Creek. These properties have a rich history with early connections to the timber industry, including to the Munro mill as a number of the property owners and their family members were employed there, and later association with small scale dairying and mixed farming.
Section from the Perseverance Reserve to the Mill
Farming continues today but with crops of a more boutique nature such as avocados, olives and walnuts. There's also some bushland regeneration taking place, particularly along the banks of Perseverance Creek, and that regeneration provides an indication of the beauty of the valley prior to the widespread tree clearance.
View to Perseverance Creek, c 1930, with dairy shed at far left
View to Perseverance Creek, 2015, same dairy shed in foreground
There's evidence of the line through most of these properties with relatively undisturbed tramway bench through the timbered area at the Reserve end and a less distinct profile through the grazing areas nearer the Mill.
Distinct level bench through timbered area
Profile of bench as the line approaches the Mill
The line branched as it approached the Mill, with one branch heading in a north-easterly direction towards the escarpment and Bunkers Hill and the other branch continuing on to the Mill. The bench or cutting associated with that junction is visible on Google Earth, reference image at left below.
The main line terminated at the Mill in what appears to have been an extensive siding arrangement as documented in K. McDonald's map, copy at right below, and evident from the traces visible on Google Earth.
Google Earth view of Mill site.
Site is on private property and not publicly accessible
Track layout at Mill
Map by K. McDonald
The photo at left below shows the Shay approaching one of the Mill siding junctions presumably on its way to Hampton. The photo at right below shows the Mill in the foreground and the workers' cottages in the background. The engine shed is the far left Mill building.
Shay departing the mill
Mill with workers' cottages in the background
The Mill site is on private property and therefore not accessible to the public and we understand that apart from a few cuttings in the ground, no evidence of the route remains at the site.
From the Mill to the Escarpment
The branch line from the mill to the eastern escarpment was around 2.5 km long and ran through a heavily forested area at the headwaters of Perseverance Creek. Along that route 3 bridges were constructed and in order of travel they are referred to as Bridges 1, 2, and 3. Not far past Bridge 3 the line commenced a descent towards the top of a spur on the eastern escarpment. A relatively flat area at the top of the spur was the eastern terminus of this 2.5 km branch.
The haulage network was further extended in ca 1904/1905 with the construction of a cable tramway. That tramway started adjacent to the branch line terminus and ran down the spur for a distance of about 3/4 of a mile to a loading station located at the base of the spur. Logs were hauled into this lower loading station by horse or bullock teams and then transferred to the cable tramway wagons and hauled to the top of the spur by means of a steam driven winch. While we don't have exact details of the wagon or log transfer arrangement, it's likely that once those wagons reached the top of the cable tramway they were shunted to the adjoining branch of the main tramway and then hauled to the Mill by the Shay.
An article appearing in The Daily Mail, 3 April 1905, provides a brief outline of the cable tramway operation: "On the brow of the hill stands a hauling-engine, and the logs which the bullocks and horse teams bring to the terminus (at the bottom of the escarpment) are drawn up by a long cable to that part of the line at which the locomotive begins its operations".
The image below shows the known sections of this branch line route as well as an indicative representation of the cable tramway route.
Section from the Mill to the escarpment. Waypoints show approximate locations of Bridges 1, 2 and 3.
As indicated on the above image, most of the branch line route, including two of the bridge sites - Bridges 1 and 2 - and all of the cable tramway route, is on private property and those sections cannot be accessed without owner permission. We understand that there are no bridge structure members remaining at either crossing and no evidence of the cable tramway bench. There is however, some historical material which provides a glimpse of how this area looked during the operating period.
Firstly there's the image of Bridge 1, taken on the 1st of April 1905 as part of the celebration of the conversion from horse drawn haulage to steam loco haulage.
Bridge 1, April 1905
Official ceremony celebrating conversion to steam loco operation. W.J. Munro on board.
Photo provided by the Ravensbourne Escape
Trove links to related articles:
1905 photo: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article20356178
There's also a photo taken of that same bridge some 29 years later, when operations were beginning to wind down.
Unfortunately we have no historical photos of Bridge 2 but the width of Perseverance Creek at the crossing point suggests that it was a substantial bridge, perhaps of the order of 25 metres long.
Some few metres past the site of the Bridge 2 crossing, the route enters what is now property controlled by the Department of National Parks, Sport and Racing, QLD, and as the local NPSR representative has requested that we avoid promotion of this area, the following description of the section through that property is an overview only.
For most of the way through the NPSR property the tramway route is hard to distinguish as access trails have been built over much of the old alignment. One feature of significance that is visible however is the remains of Bridge 3. This simple log structure bridge was photographed by Greg Shum in 1996, reference photo at left below, and at that time both horizontal bearers were intact. Time has taken its toll though and one of those bearers has since collapsed, as evident in the photo at right below.
Bridge 1, February 1934
Photo provided by the Munro family
For the first 50 metres or so past Bridge 3, there's evidence of the tramway's passing including the remains of sleepers, some which still have the dog spikes embedded.
Remains of a sleeper, some 50 metres past Bridge 3. Pink tape highlights the dog spikes
For the next 350 metres or so the route is again largely obscured by the post-tramway access trails and no definite evidence of the line can be seen up until a point some 80 metres short of the eastern boundary. Here the line began its descent to the terminus, travelling across the face of the escarpment and there is evidence of a slight bench formation as the eastern boundary is approached.
Permission to access the property beyond this boundary - that is the property on which the eastern terminus and the cable tramway were located - has not been granted as yet and the evidence we have of this area comes mainly from historical newspaper accounts. All of the accounts we've found were published in early April 1905, following a visit made by invited guests, including the State Premier, Mr. Arthur Morgan, to celebrate the commencement of steam locomotive haulage. Those reports relate how the visiting party was transported from Hampton to the Palmtree Mill aboard a series of wagons hauled by the newly arrived Shay 906 and how upon arrival they were then provided with a tour of the mill and immediate surroundings. The visitors then reboarded the Shay and were transported along the branch line - across Bridges 1, 2 and 3 - to the eastern terminus. There they alighted and witnessed the cable tramway in operation.
Those reports make mention of the stationary engine installed at the top of the spur. One report, published in the Brisbane Courier, 3rd April 1905, also makes mention of a wooden bridge located towards the bottom of that route. Unfortunately we have no historical photographs of this bridge but we have been provided with a photo of a similar arrangement; one that shows a laden wagon being winched up an incline bridge.
Mention of wooden bridge
Credit: National Library of Australia
Incline Bridge, typical only, not Munro's
Credit: Bob Padula
We understand that the cable tramway ceased operation about 1920 and the winder and steam engine were then relocated to the Bunkers Hill end of the line but their final fate remains unconfirmed.
As previously mentioned, the cable tramway route is on private property and therefore not accessible to the public. As far as we know, no evidence of the bridge exists.
Branch to Bunkers Hill - From National Park to Shearer Road
The final section of tramway to be constructed was one that branched off the eastern line, starting at a point just past Bridge 3, and ran out through the Ravensbourne district to Bunkers Hill. Construction of this line commenced in 1907 and been completed in ca 1909.
Branch line to Bunkers Hill
We haven't found any evidence of the branching point but a junction in the access trail some 200 metres east of Bridge 3 may well have been built directly over that point after the closure of the tramway. One trail heads due north from this junction and it is likely that this trail is also built over the tramway bench. The first clear evidence we see of the bench is along a 350 metre section approaching the western boundary of the NPSR property. Along this section the bench profile is visible in places and a number of splice plates and dog spikes were detected on that bench. After exiting the NPSR property, the line cuts through the corner of a private property and emerges alongside Grehan Road. It follows Grehan Road to the west before turning right into National Park Road. From that intersection the tramway was routed along the eastern side of National Park Road, partly in road reserve, for 600 metres before crossing over National Park Road. This is verified by a combination of land records and visual evidence.
This section was the most elevated along the entire route, the peak height being 775 metres near Kynoch Road.
Branch to Bunkers Hill - From National Park to Shearer Road
After crossing National Park Road, the line passed down through a series of private properties before crossing Shearer Road. In his DVD entitled "Munro's Perseverance (Palmtree) Sawmill and Tramway", Greg Shum relates that this section was the steepest grade encountered on the return journey and that only 3 wagons, rather than the normal complement of 6, could be hauled up to the Kynoch Road intersection at one time.
Along this Kynoch Road down to Shearer Road section the bench can be sighted in places as it meanders down through some very pleasant country. Post Munro era farm cultivation and building construction has resulted in there being little to no visual evidence of the route on the approaches to the Shearer Road crossing.
Slight cutting evident as track winds down to Shearer Road
Track emerges from this clump of trees on the way down to Shearer Road
From Shearer Road to the Ravensbourne Sports Ground
After crossing Shearer Road the route loops to the east passing through what is now an avocado farm before entering the road reserve associated with the "Dry Weather Only" section of National Park Road. The route continues along that road reserve for 350 metres before re-entering private property and climbing up towards Blanck Road.
Section from Shearer Road to the Ravensbourne Sports Ground
Our understanding is that this loop through the road reserve was part of what was referred to as Jack Muller's loop. As the line climbs from the road reserve back into private property there remains a few traces of its passing including a cutting on Blanck's property as shown in the image at right below.
Evidence of bench beside the "Dry Weather Only" section of the National Park Road
Cutting in Blanck's property
The line continues downhill from Blanck's property towards what is now the Esk-Hampton Road. Note that the tramway in this vicinity was constructed before the Esk-Hampton Road was constructed. The line then loops across Blanck Road heading towards the National Park Road. Evidence of the bench is quite clear where it enters the road reserve along the western side of National Park Road. It then crosses over National Park Road and passes in front of the Ravensbourne Sports Ground. It is at this point that the Munro Tramway Historical Group members have erected a Shay loco display. That display is located on the tramway alignment.
Bench through the road reserve as the line approaches the Sports Ground
Shay loco display at the Sports Ground. Located on the tramway alignment at this point
From the Ravensbourne Sports Ground to Bunkers Hill
The image below provides an overview of the route between the Ravensbourne Sports Ground and the eastern terminus at Bunkers Hill.
Section from the Ravensbourne Sports Ground to Bunkers Hill
This section begins with the line passing the Sports Ground and crossing over to the road reserve on the northern side of the Esk-Hampton Road and where it then loops through private property before crossing back over towards the Ravensbourne Escape resort (formerly known as Sketches). There is some evidence of the bench through the early part of this section, as seen in the images below, but little evidence in the resort area presumably due to post Munro era road construction. The first clear evidence of the bench past the resort occurs on the property just north of the Uniting Church.
Section from Sports Ground to Uniting Church
Slight cutting where line loops through private property
Road reserve on Northern side of the Esk Hampton Road, bench visible at base of pine tree
First evidence of bench is just past the Uniting Church
After looping through the property to the north of the church the line returns to the road reserve and continues along until crossing Taylor Road. We know from commentary provided by Archie Zropf in Greg Shum's DVD that Munro's had a well and tank located here, reference Waypoint W on the map. The line then crosses the Esk - Hampton Road and passes up through private property before entering a stretch of road reserve heavily infested with lantana and then passing the house once owned by Archie Zropf.
Evidence of bench through the road reserve
Track on private property on Southern side of Esk-Hampton Road
Slight cutting visible
Cutting in front of Archie Zropf's house
The first kilometre past Archie Zropf's old property appears to have been disturbed, again probably partly the result of post Munro era road construction. In particular, our understanding is that the route to Esk during the Munro era was along Horrex Road and that realignment to the current "Esk-Hampton Road" route occurred after the tramway closed.
The tramline bench becomes apparent again along the southern side of the Esk-Hampton Road and there is good evidence of the route from there to the terminus at Bunkers Hill.
A point of interest regarding the route from Hampton to this point is that it was all within the Highfields Shire Division. Waypoint G in fact represents the shire boundary and the area to the east of that was within the Esk Shire. And records show Duncan Munro gaining approval from the Esk Shire Council for the tramway to cross the road at this point.
Approach to Bunkers Hill
Shay heading back to the Mill. Horrex Road to the right at top of hill
Final crossing of Esk-Hampton Road
No evidence of any turning facilities has been found at Bunkers Hill, e.g. no loop nor WYE, and early indications are that the line terminated in a double siding only. To date quite a few relics have been found at the terminus including small sections of rail, a number of intact embedded sleepers, spikes, splices, tools, fittings and some sections of boiler grate and some as yet unidentified items. Work continues in recording the finer details of the terminus layout.
Swivel bolt. Stamped DM (Duncan Munro)
Bunkers Hill terminus, sleeper in foreground
Close-up of terminus
It's likely that significant loadings took place at Bunkers Hill as it was surrounded by heavily timbered country. And, as the excerpt of the 1900 Parish of Deongwar Map below shows, W.J. Munro, Duncan Munro's son, had substantial property holdings in the vicinity of this station.
That brings us to the end tramway route. Hopefully our maps, photos and narrative add to the record of this impressive tramway undertaking.
We welcome any comments, corrections or contributions that may help to improve this record.